5 Reasons To See Vienna Before Christmas
Vienna, Austria’s capital, lying on the banks Danube River, is one of Europe’s most romantic, imperial cities and a place where the Christmas spectacle is second to none.
For the month of December, beginning with the onset of the most magical of times, advent events are held across the city, that allow a glimpse into the age old and often forgotten real meaning of Christmas.
From beautiful Christkindl markets set amidst the backdrop of Baroque architecture to concerts at some of the most extrordinary venues in the world, art showcases and Christmas pageantry, there is no more romantic way to experience the magical Christmas spirit than in old Vienna.
Here are 5 reasons to check it out in 2016:
1. To see the stunning Churches, Cathedrals and charm throughout the city.
Vienna is filled with cobblestone streets with some of the most beautiful architecture and churches in the world such as St Stephen’s Cathedral and St. Anna’s Church.
- Experience a Christmas concert at St. Stephen’s Cathedral or St. Anna’s Church.
- Enjoy a Fiaker horse drawn carriage tour in the charming old historic center of Vienna
2. Shop the outdoor Christmas Markets or ‘Christkindlmarkt’.
Christmas Markets in Vienna exude a fantastic atmosphere and is an unforgettable experience. The largest market is the Magic of Advent which takes place in front of the City Hall.
- Shop local and artisan handcrafts at the Schönbrunn, Rathaus & Karlskirche Christmas markets.
3. Musical performances that will touch your soul.
Vienna, long referred to as the City of Music, offers a century old legacy of world renowned artists the likes of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Strauss. Don’t miss the exquisite beauty of Vienna Christmas concerts where world renowned performers, choirs and orchestras, perform in the splendor and majesty of Vienna’s historical cathedrals, churches and concert halls.
- Seize the opportunity to attend a mass at the Imperial Family’s private chapel, complete with a performance from the world-famous Vienna Boys Choir.
- Step back in time to at the Kursalon to enjoy a Strauss concert where Johann Strauss himself performed 125 years ago.
- Witness the world famous performance of the Lipizzaner at the Spanish Riding School.
4. Experience Viennese culture and tradition.
Imagine yourself stepping back in time as you wander this city of architectural majesty and cobblestoned streets where friends and families gather in the squares to celebrate the coming of Christmas. Join in and experience of the bustle of the Christkindle markets, warm your hands on a glass of warm mulled wine or fruit punch, taste chestnuts roasting on an open fire while listening to the bells of the Cathedrals ring in background.
- Vienna’s many culinary wonders.
- Visit the numerous art galleries that are home to the work of some of the great masters.
- Wander the halls of the incredible museums that chronicle the historical legacy of the Habsburg dynasty.
- All this and more awaits you!
5. Explore Austria’s rich history and ties to the Roman Empire.
Come and marvel at the treasures of Austria that are housed in the Schatzkammer in the heart of Vienna.
- Explore the gems of the Schatzkammer, Treasury of the Holy Roman Empire at the Secular and Ecclesiastical Treasuries
- Visit the decadent and world famous Schönbrunn Palace for a Grand Tour
- Reflect on the colourful history of Austria at the Kaisergruft, Vaults of the Imperial Habsburg
- Visit the Imperial Vaults, where 12 emperors and 19 empresses are laid to rest in exquisitely carved sarcophagi.
Don’t miss the opportunity of a magical Christmas gift for you and the special person in your life. Recapture the true meaning of Christmas. Escape the hectic stress of the pre-Christmas rush. Enjoy the true meaning and spirit of the old country magical traditions in Vienna.
Native-born Austrian, Horst will guide you on this unforgettable tour with no stress and plenty of free time for yourself with only a small group. Staying in a boutique hotel in the heart of Vienna near famous coffee houses and the Imperial Palace.
- Arrival Friday, December 9 2016
- Departure Saturday, December 17, 2016